Mike C. has logged more than 700 gigs since he started spinning tunes for the masses back in 1999. With his musicologist tendencies, he can thrive in many musical settings. His goal is to create a unique and memorable sonic environment for everyone who experiences any venue or event he plays.
Career highlights include:
- Singer Lisa Loeb's wedding, as seen in People
- Opening DJ on a sold-out bill with The Psychedelic Furs at Maxwell's in March 2012
- Opening night and Tony Awards parties for the Broadway show Rock Of Ages
- Creator, producer, and host of Hoboken Rock City, one of the first indie rock music podcasts ever to be featured on the iTunes Music Store
- Numerous Tory Burch boutique in-store shopping events
- Lucky Shops weekend-long celebrity and consumer shopping event produced by Lucky magazine, as seen on Style Network
- The Nanny Diaries film opening party
- Wenner Media (Rolling Stone, Us Weekly) holiday party at Irving Plaza with Maroon 5
- House DJ for The Hoboken Music Awards at Maxwell's
- New York Aquarium 50th anniversary weekend-long party, as seen on NY1
- Finish line DJ for Party With Purpose's annual charity 5K race in Hoboken's Pier A Park, motivating hundreds of runners on their final push across the finish line, with the New York City skyline as a backdrop.
- Hoboken Artists' Studio Tour
- Residencies at preeminent NYC rock & roll bars Manitoba's and Motor City Bar
- Well over 300 gigs during a 7+ year residency at The Goldhawk Bar & Lounge, one of the most unique venues ever to grace the city Hoboken, up through and including its legendary closing-night party
- Ongoing residency (September 2009 to present) at Northern Soul in Hoboken, N.J.
- Featured venues: Irving Plaza, Maxwell's, Motor City Bar, Manitoba's, Pilsener Haus & Biergarten, Soho House, Mr. H, East Village Radio, The Frying Pan, Edison Ballroom, New York Aquarium, Arena, Metropolitan Pavilion, Angel Orensanz Center, Lit Lounge, Ding Dong Lounge, The Loop Lounge, The Whiskey Bar, The Black Bear, Hoboken Elks Lodge, The Goldhawk (RIP), Luke & Leroy (RIP), Angels & Kings (RIP), and Barmacy (RIP)
Bookings and info
For those with ongoing music needs, Mike C. crafts unique soundscapes for retail, office, or home environments. He has programmed the music for Tory Burch retail locations as well as the offices of Hoboken Chiropractic & Wellness. Contact Mike C. and he will begin creating a unique music solution for your home or business.
Through 18 years on the corporate side of the music business, Mike has overseen marketing and packaging for several hundred major-label releases. He is open to discuss new projects and opportunities. Much of his time is is currently occupied by freelance duties in Content Development for the catalog division of one of the major record companies. Recent projects include overseeing content for new compilations in Sony Music's Essential series by Donovan, Mariah Carey, and Blue Oyster Cult.
Powerful writing, editing and communication skills are key pieces of his success in conceptualizing and overseeing branding, packaging, advertising, design, and publicity for his projects. With a strong sense of big picture goals and a keen eye for detail, his ability to motivate teams of both internal and external players in deadline-oriented environments and manage budgets in challenging economic times has been an asset as both a full-time corporate staffer and a freelance consultant.
His extensive work on the Elvis Presley catalog that began more than a decade ago with the triple-platinum #1 collection ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits and has included numerous lauded reissues and box sets. It culminated in recent years with the 240-page hardcover volume written by Peter Guralnick and Ernst Mikael Jorgensen for 2010's The Complete Elvis Presley Masters, a book he supervised for the deluxe 30-CD box set containing every track released by Elvis Presley during his lifetime and then some. He also supervised editorial for Young Man With The Big Beat, a 5-disc collection of Elvis' seminal 1956 recordings which earned a 2012 Grammy nomination for Best Historical Album.
He has written liner notes for other Elvis compilations, along with titles by artists ranging from Living Colour to A Flock Of Seagulls, as well as producing compilations for the likes of Matthew Sweet and Fishbone. He has also overseen editorial on products, marketing, and advertising for platinum artists such as Bob Dylan, Dixie Chicks, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Kings Of Leon, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band, Will Smith, Kelly Clarkson, Foo Fighters, and The Strokes. He has edited many of the most acclaimed voices in music and pop culture criticism, including Peter Guralnick, Anthony DeCurtis, Toure, David Fricke, Lenny Kaye, Billy Altman, Stanley Crouch, Sylvie Simmons, David Wild, and Dave Marsh.
Mike conquered the music business with help in part from his B.A. degrees in Journalism and History from Rutgers College.
Writer and Editor
As Managing Editor of the nationally distributed indie rock magazine Yeah Yeah Yeah, Mike supervised all editorial aspects of the publication for its full run of 23 issues over a span of eight years. Assigning stories and reviews, he motivated a team of 25 unpaid freelance writers while also writing features, commentary, and more than 200 CD and live show reviews. He has also occasionally published freelance work in other national consumer magazines. He has been an annual contributor to The Village Voice's Pazz & Jop music poll since 2001.